With much of the major cast announced (though not necessarily who they’ll be playing), The Dark Knight Rises is to begin production this summer and the location chosen for shooting is Pittsburgh. Earlier there was word it might shoot in Louisiana or in Eastern Europe, but it looks like the bulk of the photography will be happening stateside according to The Pittsburgh Post Gazette .
Christopher Nolan offered a statement on this announcement:
“Pittsburgh is a beautiful city. We have been able to find everything we were looking for here, and I am excited to spend the summer in Pittsburgh with our final installment of Batman.”
What we’re seeing is the benefit of the tax credits that filmmakers can get for shooting stateside. Where there was a period about ten years ago where many films were shooting abroad to save money, those industries became so successful that they priced themselves out of film work.
At the same time many states have offered these credits (as foreign countries had been doing) because of the employment a film production can bring. It’s turned Louisiana into a thriving location for films, and Michigan also saw great benefit from those credits. This has been hardest on California – where most of the post work is still done – as fewer films shoot Los Angeles than they used to. But we’ve also seen – with the value of the American dollar shrinking against Canada’s currency – less work in Vancouver.
The Dark Knight Rises is set for release July 20, 2012.
Are you happy to know Batman is being shot in America?
- Warner Bros. Plan To ‘Reinvent’ Batman After ‘Dark Knight Rises’; Possible ‘Justice League’ Film In 2013 (0)
- Gary Oldman Reveals ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ Script Details (0)
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt locked into The Dark Knight Rises, Juno Temple Circles (12)
- Christian Bale Says The Dark Knight Rises is His Last Batman Movie (0)
- Rumor: Tom Hardy to Play Dr. Hugo Strange in The Dark Knight Rises? (2)
- Will The Dark Knight Rises Be Shot Completely in IMAX? (2)
- Batman 3 Titled The Dark Knight Rises, No Riddler, No 3D (2)